Source: American Concrete Institute Foundation, Farmington Hills, Mich.
The ACI Foundation’s Concrete Innovation Council 2023 Technology Forum, August 29-31 in Portland, Ore., will offer 15 sessions on new material and processing technologies, research advances, plus test standards. Event organizers note especially these topics or themes and their presenters:
• BIM to AR Program for the Field, Maret Thatcher, Argyle
• Carbon Capture of CO2 from Gas Streams, Brittany Zimmerman, Yummet
• Rebel Sensor System: Measuring Real‐Time In‐Place Concrete Strength, Luna Lu, Purdue University and WaveLogix
• Decarbonizing Cement and the Co‐Production of Green Hydrogen, Sublime Systems representative
• How Do Venture Capitalists Evaluate Technologies for Investment?, Curtis Rogers, Brick & Mortar Ventures
• Advances for the Use of Basalt Fibers & Rebar, Alvaro Ruiz Emparanza, University of Miami
• CCUS and Innovative Materials: The Building Blocks for Net‐Zero Concrete, Emily Kunkel, Thornton Tomasetti
• Development of Innovations, Sean Monkman, CarbonCure Technologies
• Framework for Characterizing the Performance of High‐Early Strength, High‐Volume Fly Ash Concrete Structures, Matthew Gombeda, Illinois Institute of Technology
• Using Machine Learning to Automate Design Tasks, Brad Malmsten, Thornton Tomasetti
The event will conclude with a debate on new technologies for determining concrete strength and how such methodologies can find a path to be used in acceptance criteria. Panelists will assess if the industry could or should develop more rapid and reliable acceptance criteria based on new methods. Viewpoints of contractor, producer, specifier, and testing agency sectors will be represented. CIC 2023 Technology Forum registration and additional details can be obtained at www.acifoundation.org/technology.