Sources: Concrete.ai, Los Angeles; CP staff
Concrete.ai is preparing for general release of its pioneering data science platform, programmed to reduce costs and embodied carbon intensity (CO2e) in concrete construction. Ahead of the launch, the company is filling key management positions and executing an exclusive, worldwide license from the University of California, Los Angeles for the underlying artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technology.
Previewed at World of Concrete 2021, the Concrete.ai platform delivers unparalleled reductions in the cost and CO2e of ready mixed and manufactured concrete by applying AI methods to mix design and production. The result is an optimized, cost-effective concrete that fulfills all engineering performance characteristics, while utilizing locally available raw materials. Pilot deployments with a handful of major producers show the technology reduces the material costs and CO2e of concrete by up to 10 percent and 70 percent, respectively. Concrete.ai has announced critical next steps to bring the platform to commercial stage, starting with the addition of engineering and software leaders. They will build Application Programming Interfaces, processes and reporting tools to accelerate customer adoption.
Mathieu Bauchy, who co-founded Concrete.ai with his UCLA Samueli School of Engineering colleague Gaurav Sant, will assume the role of chief technology officer, leveraging experience from developing multiple AI and ML applications related to material design, manufacturing, and optimization. Joining him as head of Engineering is David Wegman, who arrives with a track record of building and deploying software systems for planetary health and leading programmer teams at startup, midsize, and Fortune 500 companies.
To increase awareness of its materials-optimizing technology in North America and beyond, Concrete.ai has also named to its advisory board:
• Walter Dissinger, who served as CEO of Votorantim Cimentos and in a variety of roles at BASF AG, including Health and Nutrition unit president.
• Ian Riley, World Cement Association CEO since 2019. Prior to joining the London group, he was Holcim Ltd. Greater China Country Head, responsible for namesake and Lafarge businesses.
• Pat Ward, most recently CEO for Breedon Group, the United Kingdom’s largest independent construction materials operator. He also served in senior leadership roles for 20-plus years at Holcim and Aggregate Industries businesses in the U.K. and United States.
• Ann Klee, most recently executive vice president of Business Development and Government Affairs for Suffolk, a national integrated design, technology and construction company based in Boston. She also served as General Electric vice president for Environment, Health & Safety and Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works chief counsel.
• Mike Mettler, cofounder of RightHandGreen, a climate benefits company, and charter team member at card.io (acquired by PayPal) and AdMob (acquired by Google).
“Mathieu and David bring a level of expertise and experience to product development that will truly drive value in solutions to our customers,” says Concrete.ai CEO Alex Hall. “Additionally, having such a formidable advisory group will ensure that we are perfectly positioned for rapid growth and long-term success.”