ADHESIVE ANCHORING Epcon G5, an extended working time epoxy adhesive, has met ICC-ESR 1137 criteria for high-strength anchoring and is compliant with
Epcon G5, an extended working time epoxy adhesive, has met ICC-ESR 1137 criteria for high-strength anchoring and is compliant with 2003 and 2000 International Building Codes. Among the product’s anchoring applications are doweling rebar into bridge deck and concrete foundation wall; and, anchoring concrete traffic barrier. Epoxy resin and hardener are completely mixed as they are dispensed from the dual cartridge through a static mixing nozzle directly into the anchor hole, the manufacturer notes, completely filling the area between rod and hole for a stress-free, high-load anchorage. The G5 can be used with both threaded rod or rebar. Contractors are said to appreciate the fast curing, extended working time the product provides.
Based on the new ICC report, Epcon G5 provides several additional benefits:
- Improved wet hole/water-filled performance
- Minimum edge and spacing values
- New threaded rod and rebar performance tables
- Two-hour cure time at 70 degrees
- Resists wind and live loads
ITW Red Head
IN-LINE MASONRY UNIT TUMBLING
The latest-generation 2007 Rusticator C3, with new Fascia Impact System, employs a three-stage rustication process to distress retaining wall block and CMUs, the manufacturer notes, yielding product that closely resembles tumbled units. As Rusticator C3 eliminates extra labor and requires a smaller capital investment, product developers contend, it allows competition with more expensive (off-line) tumbled products. System developers cite the following attributes:
Versatility Û All 2007 models are equipped with micro PLC controls, including variable speed motors for both conveyors and rustic knives. Complete control over rustication process permits adjustments to lightly or heavily distress units. The Rusticator handles 2- up to 10-in. masonry units.
Improved automation and user friendliness Û Push-button controls provide adjustability on all major features, as well as switching capability between different-sized units. Completely electric and pneumatic mechanism affords easy operation.
Fascia Impact System Û Achieving complete fascia processing for enhanced rustic appearance, the F.I.S. operates durable pneumatic, tungsten carbide-headed pistons to produce high-end distressed units.
Specifications Û Height: 80 in.; width: 68 in.; depth: 60 in.; weight: 2,500 lb.; power: 220, 440 or 480 volts, 30 amp; controls: 2 VFD speed controls, emergency stop.
Equipment Design Group
NONEPOXY CONCRETE REPAIR
Joining the company’s Pavemend line of nonportland, nonepoxy, all-weather, high-performance concrete repair materials, new Pavemend SLQ is a rapid-hardening, high early-strength material for patching and long-term repair of concrete, masonry and structural asphalt surfaces. The product was developed specifically for urgent infrastructure repairs requiring a one-hour return to service. To address the constraints posed by traditional construction materials Û including extreme weather applications, rapid return to service, ease of use, shrinkage, resistance to thermal expansion/contraction and long-term durability Û SLQ offers what product developers contend are aggressive bonding characteristics for one-hour compressive strengths exceeding 3,400 psi, thus enabling repairs to be reloaded by vehicles in one hour and pedestrian in 20 minutes. Accordingly, it suits repair of roads and bridges, airport runways and tarmacs, warehouses, manufacturing and industrial floors, and form-and-pour projects.
Packaged in 5-gal. buckets, SLQ is a single-component powder that is water activated to form a slurry mix that bonds securely to most construction materials when poured into the area to be repaired. SLQ allows four to six minutes of working time and can be applied in ambient temperatures from 0_F – 90_F. It is self-priming, self-curing, extendable and semi-leveling. Nonhazardous SLQ is composed of environmentally friendly, sustainable materials, utilizing waste-stream products as micro-aggregate, instead of traditional binders. CeraTech, Inc.
POLYUREA JOINT FILLER
QWIKjoint 300 is a two-component polyurea floor joint repair filler that cures rapidly to a hard, semi-rigid solid, the manufacturer notes. It is formulated specifically for joint repair applications where the original filler has been removed, leaving a wide joint opening to be refilled. The product develops strength properties much faster than polyurea fillers currently on the market, company representatives add, and readily withstands the stress of internal heat buildup characteristic of the initial curing process to avoid the deleterious effects of polyurea reaction.
User friendly, QWIKjoint 300 does not require a primer and is installed with a standard meter/mix pump or with hand-held cartridges. It features a 1:1 mix ratio and does not contain abrasive fillers, thereby preventing damage to the power dispensing equipment. The filler is a self-leveling, 100 percent solids, low-odor, USDA-compliant material whose surface can be shaved as early as 15 minutes after application or up to four to six hours later. Additionally, it meets performance properties for control and construction joints cited in ACI 302 guidelines. Euclid Chemical
LevelRock Quik-Top joins the company’s line of poured gypsum-concrete underlayments designed to minimize downtime during flooring installations. The new self-leveling, high-strength (5,000- to 6,000-psi) product dries within 15 hours, allowing applicators to Îpour and coverÌ on consecutive days. For commercial and multifamily renovations, as well as new construction, the underlayment is used to repair damaged or uneven floors, or to top rough or spalled concrete. It can be applied ∫ to _ in. thick over concrete or gypsum concrete subfloors to provide a smooth and level surface, the manufacturer notes. The result is a monolithic surface that accepts a variety of floor coverings, including carpeting, ceramic tile, wood laminate, hardwood and vinyl. When used with an approved Valspar coating system, the underlayment can be used also as a finished floor. Additionally, in combination with existing Levelrock systems, Quik-Top meets Underwriters Laboratories (UL) fire-rated design requirements and International Building Code (IBC) sound criteria. USG Corp.
GRACE EXPANDS ZERO SLUMP ADMIXTURE LINE
OPTEC Paver Enhancer and OPTEC EC-875 have joined Grace Construction Products’ line of admixtures formulated to enhance the physical properties and aesthetics of concrete masonry units. A formal debut of the new OPTEC offerings was staged at MCPX in Orlando earlier this year.
A ready-to-use liquid, OPTEC Paver Enhancer is formulated to reduce the cost of paver and segmental retaining wall units by achieving target strength properties with less cement. It can likewise augment color dispersion and help minimize secondary efflorescence. Moreover, the manufacturer notes, the admixture enhances mix plasticity for improved physical attributes and machinability. Additionally, it provides a medium swipe on the surface of the unit for better water control.
OPTEC EC-875 is a color-enhancing and efflorescence-controlling admixture formulated to improve appearance and color vibrancy of SWRs and pavers, architectural units, roof tiles and other products cast from low-slump concrete. Besides enhancing mix plasticity and machinability, product developers affirm, OPTEC EC-875 improves dispersion of cement throughout the mix and allows increased water content for more complete cement hydration and resulting higher strengths.
Other OPTEC products include:
- EC-250, used in paver production plants to reduce secondary efflorescence and improve both machinability and unit density. Also recommended for architectural masonry unit or SWR fabrication, it enhances color dispersion, besides minimizing efflorescence, to improve the quality and appearance of low-slump concrete products,
- EC-365, formulated for use in concrete pavers, SRWs and architectural concrete masonry units to control early (primary) and late (secondary) efflorescence, as well as maintain color intensity and provide resistance to dirt, stains, mold and mildew. In addition, it improves compaction and densifies concrete pore structure to produce a unit with higher compressive strength, lower absorption, and sharper corners and edges for better overall appearance.
- EC-140, a ready-to-use admixture to optimize the quality and appearance of interlocking concrete paving stones, as well as architectural concrete masonry and SWRs. At lower dosage rates, it produces little or no change to the CMU’s surface texture, but will produce a slight swipe at higher dosages. Û www.graceconstruction.com
GRANULAR PIGMENT DISPENSING
The enhanced EÔZ Blend Granular Dispensing System is said by company engineers to allow convenient installation and operation. Shipped fully assembled, wired and tested from the factory, the system requires minimal on-site assembly with only electrical, compressed air, and discharge line hookup. A Îtouch screenÌ operator interface facilitates initial setup and formula entry as well as automatic production runs and performance monitoring. Other developer-cited benefits include:
- Low profile Û Height, including pigment supersack racks, is less than 14 ft.
- Up to eight-color capacity Û While normally drawing from four pigment sources, optional five- to eight-source configuration is available.
- Multi-blend operation Û The operator can load up to four blend formulas for each mixer serviced by the EÔZ Blend GDS.
- Multiple fill rates Û Metering system combines fast fill rates with accurate results. The bulk of material is added in fast fill; as the fill target is approached, the fill rate is reduced, so the final amount of pigment is added precisely.
- Control system Û Incorporating an industrial-rated PLC and touch-screen display, the control system features a premounted, prewired control panel designed to withstand harsh plant environments.
- Touch-screen display Û All system functions and parameters are accessed by touching the NEMA 4-rated screen display, which is protected by a replaceable screen shield and can be mounted remotely in an operator console.
- Pressurized discharge Û Batch chambers are rapidly emptied by pressurized discharge to mixers at distances of up to 150 ft. and at a height of 30 ft.
- Remote signals Û The dispenser accepts remote fill and discharge signals from a host machine and signals the host when fill and discharge cycles are complete.
- Inventory control Û System totals the weight of all pigment dispensed in automatic mode, as well as the amount remaining in the source super sacks, alerting the operator when available pigment drops below an-operator set minimum. Û Interstate Industrial Technology, 618/286-4900
TRAVERTINE PAVER MOLD REPLICATES EPIC STONE
Rampf Group subsidiary Via Domo of Allmendingen, Germany, produces polyurethane molds for wet cast products that allow designers’ and architects’ visions to be converted to floor and wall surface textures. In addition to its custom offerings, Via Domo produces standard stone series, among which Travertine is its best selling design.
Emerging from the earth’s interior as magma through Pleistocene-era volcanic eruptions, company officials note, travertine further developed as a sedimentary rock whose beauty lies in the embeddings and holes caused by gas bubbles. While holes in natural stone must be plastered over for frost resistance, manufactured product does not require the same treatment; thus, the undiminished ÎnaturalÌ beauty of the stone remains.
A classical floor installation demonstrates a design detail not feasible for natural stone: integrated spacers enable the floor to be laid with accurate jointing and, further, protect the top edge from damages. A small, 0.3-mm edge radius on the top, adopted from saw-cut natural stone, along with the small gap line gives the floor a sharp architectural look, the manufacturer affirms.
Pavement requirements include: a width and length tolerance of ±1 mm, since the units are installed with tight 4-mm joints to fit the designated pattern; and, consistently even surface to prevent edges from standing out.
Via Domo uses a polyurethane material especially created for this application, product developers report. Mechanical properties, i.e., tensile strength of 10 N/mm2, 900% elongation, tear strength of 35 N/mm, reportedly result in long service life for each mold as well as clear surface detailing. The mold material’s low water absorption ensures enduring accuracy.
Via Domo reports a new trend in the production of large pavers up to 1000 mm _ 1000 mm _ 90 mm. To that end, a perforated spring steel reinforcement embedded in the bottom of the mold guarantees highest accuracy, while the mold retains flexibility for easy demolding. Û www.viadomo.com