The National Ready Mixed Concrete Association and American Society of Concrete Contractors joint Paving Committee has assembled a library of resources for pavement contractors and designers. Available at www.ascconline.org/technical/paving-tool-kit, the Paving Tool Kit encompasses:
- Paving brochure. Details the benefits of concrete parking lot development; outlines the NRMCA Design Assistance Program; and, provides reference and comparison illustrations plus charts for material thickness.
- Illuminance PFB1-Understanding Lighting and How LED are Changing the Game. Discusses how a concrete parking lot decreases energy costs when compared to asphalt, due to lighter color and surface reflectivity.
- Reflectivity. Case study on energy savings of a concrete paving lot at a Leavenworth, Kan., Walmart store.
- Guide to Concrete Overlays of Asphalt Parking Lots. Prepared by the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center at Iowa State University, with RMC Research and Education Foundation support, it provides information about selecting, designing, and constructing successful overlays.
- Concrete Parking Lot Construction and Design. Frequently-asked questions on reinforcement, jointing and sealing.
- ACI 330.2R-17: Guide for the Design and Construction of Concrete Site Paving for Industrial and Trucking Facilities. ASCC-recommended document written to assist architects, engineers, contractors, and testing agencies with designing, detailing, constructing, repairing, and inspecting site paving.
- ACI 330R-08: Guide for the Design and Construction of Concrete Parking Lots. Information on site investigation, thickness determination, designs of joints and other details, durability, paving operations, and quality-assurance procedures.
- ACI Parking Area Quick Reference Sheet. Details recommendations for 20-year design thickness, jointing, and best construction practices.
- Parking Lot Checklist for Pre-Construction Conference. Tips and factors to consider prior to beginning a parking lot construction project.
- Design Assistance Program. NRMCA program provides detailed insights for specific concrete parking lot design, including CAD jointing recommendations, along with the opportunity for design consultation.
- ConcreteTracker. A collection of concrete building and paving case studies assembled by NRMCA. Building owners, developers, architects, engineers and others can search for information about a concrete building or paving project.
- Advantages to Concrete Parking Lots. Joint ASCC and NRMCA presentation outlines the primary benefits of concrete parking lots and failure points in asphalt lots.
“These resources have been extremely beneficial to our paving contractors for both promoting and installing concrete parking lots,” says ASCC Executive Director Bev Garnant, “The information they need to convince owners, developers and designers that concrete is the paving material they want and need is all here in one package.”