Source: American Concrete Institute Foundation, Farmington Hills, Mich.
The ACI Foundation Concrete Research Council selected eight research projects to receive grants this year, aiming to further the knowledge and sustainability of concrete materials, construction, and structures in coordination with American Concrete Institute Technical Committees. The projects, along with their principal investigators and endorsing committees are:
• Minimum Design Requirements for Insulated Concrete Form Wall Systems. Laura Lowes and Dawn Lehman, University of Washington; 318-C Subcommittee on Safety, Serviceability, and Analysis, 318-E Subcommittee on Section and Member Strength, 332 Residential Concrete Work and 560 Design and Construction with Insulating Concrete Forms.
• Transverse Reinforcement Requirements for UHPC Columns: Assessment of Existing ACI Provisions and New Developments. Mohamed Moustafa, University of Nevada – Reno; 239 Ultra High-Performance Concrete.
• Standard Critical Chloride Threshold Test Variability Due to Material Sources. Ceki Halmen, University of Missouri – Kansas City; 222 Corrosion of Metals in Concrete.
• Stress-Strain Analysis of BCSA Cement for Structural Applications. Cameron Murray, University of Arkansas; 242 Alternate Cements.
• Chloride Desorption Isotherms of Cementitious Systems Exposed to Low-pH Environments. Mahmoud Shakouri, UNK; 363 High Strength Concrete.
• Core Compressive Strength and Elastic Modulus Measurements of High-Strength Concrete. Matthew Sherman and R. Brett Holland of Simpson Gumpertz & Heger; 363 High Strength Concrete.
• Development of FRP Retrofit Guidelines for Deficient Reinforced Concrete Horizontal Lateral Force Resisting Systems. Eric Jacques and Matthew Eatherton of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University; 440 Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement.
• Shear Behavior of Macro-Synthetic Fiber-Reinforced Concrete. Travis Thonstad and Paolo M. Calvi of University of Washington; 544 Fiber Reinforced Concrete.
CRC recommended the projects based on impact to industry, ACI Committee engagement and collaboration with other funders and organizations. Additional information about each research grant recipients is available at ACIFoundation.org.