Sources: Volvo Trucks North America, Greensboro, N.C.; CP staff
ConExpo-Con/Agg 2020 brought unveiling of the latest generation Volvo Trucks VHD, whose combination of structural upgrades plus safety and technological advances spell the most significant evolution of the manufacturer’s vocational offering in decades.
“Everything we’ve done to improve the model to make it more versatile and reliable also extends the life of the vehicle and increases driver productivity, safety and comfort,” says VTNA Product Marketing Manager John Felder. “Drivers will love this truck because it makes hard work easy. It’s the perfect example of tougher made smarter
Among the most notable upgrades from prior series, he cites:
- Updated exterior gives a modern look that reflects other Volvo Trucks family models and includes new grille design, as well as LED high/low beam headlights. The fully sealed headlamp component offers a brighter, more focused beam; a de-icing feature burns through ice and snow accumulating in colder weather.
- Groundbreaking safety and productivity features such as Volvo Dynamic Steering, which delivers a safer, more comfortable driver experience by adding torque to reduce strain at low speeds and remove vibrations caused by rough terrain. The next-generation Volvo Active Driver Assist provides integrated radar/camera capabilities, automatic emergency braking, highway departure warnings, and adaptive cruise control.
- A new, robust bumper features a heavy-duty, 45-mm tow pin rated for a full 80,000 pounds, affording quick pull out of sticky situations and thereby increasing drivers’ peace of mind.
- Advanced interior offers improved driver comfort and productivity. The ignition has been moved to the lower left-hand side of the dash, for example, while steering wheel buttons are more touch-friendly and clustered intuitively to help drivers feel more confident.
- Crawler gears add one or two settings to the 12-speed Volvo IShift transmission, enabling the VHD to start on steep grades, provide low-speed control, and reach maximum highway speeds with faster rear axle ratios.
- Volvo T-Ride suspension boosts ride quality by applying constant pressure on the wheels to create sure-footed traction. A new ride stiffness option is available for mixer trucks.
- Connectivity solutions such as Remote Programming and Diagnostics allow customers to use real data insights to make the right decisions for increased safety and truck productivity.
“We continue to improve product offerings and have done so for an already tough vocational truck model,” Felder observes. “This smarter and more innovative VHD for the vocational market raises the bar on what it takes to be an all-around great work truck.”