Sources: AltusGroup, Bethlehem, Pa.; CP staff
The AltusGroup partnership of 21 North American precasters will present a free, full-day program to educate architects and other building team members about designing enclosures that save energy, last longer and meet aesthetic goals. “Innovate. Insulate. Integrate” will offer up to six AIA LU credits.
Best known for licensing carbon fiber C-Grid reinforced architectural and structural precast products, AltusGroup is spearheading the effort with members in each market, plus program partners BASF, FLIR Systems, IES and Architectural Polymers. Dates, venues and hosts are:
- October 20; Kerkstra Precast office, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- October 25; Miller Park, Aaron Room, Milwaukee; Spancrete and MidStates Concrete Products
- October 27; Sheraton Tysons (Va.); Metromont, High Concrete Group
- November 17; K.C. Builders’ Association Education & Training Center, Kansas City, Mo.; Enterprise Precast
Presentations will explore practical strategies for improving the energy efficiency, resilience, structural performance and aesthetics of precast concrete building enclosures. Session themes and presenters are:
- “Climate change, stringent energy codes and the role of architects in reducing energy usage—and advocating better than code minimums,” an introductory video from Chris Mathis of MC@;
- “How composite design in high-performance, thermally-efficient insulated wall panels deliver continuous insulation, performance benefits and cost savings,” presented by local AltusGroup members;
- “Energy modeling: How effective energy modeling demonstrates how precast enclosure solutions can deliver savings and performance,” presented by IES;
- “Achieving the aesthetic vision of the architect using precast with formliner and thin-brick technology,” presented by Architectural Polymers;
- “Ensuring building envelope integrity with joint sealing systems and effective material system selection,” presented by BASF;
- “New imaging technology to measure building performance and envelope integrity and effectively manage energy loss,” presented by FLIR Systems; and,
- “How novel ultra-thin prestressed precast panel technology can be used as rainscreens and other precast envelopes,” presented by local AltusGroup members.
Design and construction professionals can register for “Innovate, Insulate, Integrate” at www.altusprecast.com/ceu. The program and lunch are free; a $50 deposit will only be charged to registrants who do not attend their selected session.