Source: National Ready Mixed Concrete Association, Silver Spring, Md.
With Colorado Ready Mixed Concrete Association assistance, the NRMCA Research, Engineering and Standards Committee has produced a checklist and PowerPoint presentation, “Code and Standards Requirements for Acceptance Testing,” spanning these methods and practice topics:
- Purpose of acceptance testing
- Differentiate between standard and field curing
- Qualification requirements for third-party testing labs and lab and field testing technicians
- Distribution of test reports
- Initial curing requirements for standard cured cylinders for acceptance testing
- Effect of non-standard testing on concrete strength
- Responsibilities related to initial curing
- Reporting of initial curing data
- Calculating testing variation by test data analysis
- Criteria for core tests and establishing responsibility for low strength evaluations
Ready mixed concrete personnel, testing labs, plus architect and engineers can use the presentation in local education efforts to help ensure acceptance testing conforms to industry codes and standards; the checklist can be used as a handout in tandem for pre-construction meetings and mixture submittals. NRMCA’s (Technology in Practice) TIP 16 on Evaluating Strength Test Results is likewise a companion to the presentation. Checklist and PowerPoint files can be obtained from NRMCA Vice President, Technical Services Karthik Obla, 240/485-1160; [email protected].