Source: CalPortland Co., Glendora, Calif.
As 2014 Energy Star Partner of Year – Sustained Excellence Award recipient, CalPortland will be honored April 29 in Washington, D.C., the recognition earned through what EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe calls the cement, concrete and aggregate producer’s “unwavering commitment to helping consumers become increasingly more energy efficient.”
As part of its 2013 Energy Star strategy, spanning operations from Arizona and Nevada to California and the Pacific Northwest, CalPortland:
- Reduced energy intensity nearly 2 percent compared to 2012, resulting in 130 billion Btu in savings. Cumulative energy intensity reductions approaching 14 percent since 2005 have saved over $52 million.
- Aggressively promoted Energy Star program objectives and energy management to the cement, ready mixed concrete, and aggregates industries through direct company mentoring and participation in association events.
- Engaged 17 ready mixed, aggregate, asphalt and terminal sites in the Energy Star Challenge for Industry.
- Launched company-wide president’s $1 Million Dollar Energy Savings Challenge, rewarding employees who submit the best ideas for lowering power consumption.
- Conducted an in depth study of natural gas fuel use in on/off road vehicles to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
“We are committed to our partnership with Energy Star, and dedicated to improving energy efficiency throughout our business, which helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect the environment,” says CalPortland President Allen Hamblen.