The Tilt-Up Concrete Association will celebrate its 20th anniversary as part of activities lined up for the 2006 World of Concrete, Jan. 16-20, in Las
The Tilt-Up Concrete Association will celebrate its 20th anniversary as part of activities lined up for the 2006 World of Concrete, Jan. 16-20, in Las Vegas. TCA-sponsored events will include:
- Jan. 16, 8 a.m.-11 a.m. Û Creative Forming and Finishing of Tilt-Up Walls (WOC Seminar Code MO-62). Presenters Shawn Hickey of SiteCast, Inc., in Ottawa, Ont., and TCA Executive Director Ed Sauter will focus on ways to take tilt-up projects to the next level, covering such topics as form and shape, openings, placement of panels, detailing, applied ornament, cast-in elements, and surface finishes.
- Jan. 17, 8 a.m.-11 a.m. Û Tilt-Up Supervisor Training for Certification (WOC Seminar Code TU-67). SiteCast’s Shawn Hickey and Sherman Balch of Hayward, Calif.-based Balch Enterprises will cover all areas in which a tilt-up supervisor is expected to be knowledgeable, including safety, plan reading, site preparation, scheduling, foundations, slabs on grade, layout, forming, placement, erection, structural systems, and concrete properties. This presentation is intended to prepare attendees for the certification exam.
- Jan. 18, 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Û ACI Tilt-Up Certification Exam (WOC Code WE-TUS). Participants successfully completing this exam will earn the distinction of an ACI/TCA Certified Supervisor or Technician. Note: As tilt-up certification has a five-year duration, those certified in 2000 are encouraged to register for the exam to achieve recertification.
- Jan. 18 and 19 in the Silver Lot fronting Central Hall Û Mega Demo: At Home with Concrete. Attendees will see the latest in concrete housing systems, including tilt-up, with an emphasis on affordable replacement units in view of hurricane devastation in the U.S. Gulf Coast and other areas worldwide. On the first day, Daugherty Construction of Las Vegas will perform panel pours to demonstrate the simplicity of the construction process. On day two, the contractor will erect panels to create a sample room displaying integrated, nonmaintenance brick wainscoting; form-liner textures for common siding; a ceiling/roof panel with an integrated tile pattern to emulate common clay tile; and, a variety of openings.
- Jan. 19, 8 a.m.-11 a.m., registration beginning 7:30 a.m. at the Las Vegas Hilton Û TCA 20th Anniversary Celebration. Held in conjunction with the TCA’s Annual Meeting, this event will feature an historical review of tilt-up advancements as highlighted by several speakers, including Con/Steel Tilt-Up Systems President Robert Foley, also a TCA founding member, and Prizio Construction President Dave Prizio Û both past association presidents. The meeting will emphasize significant developments and changes that occurred since the association has been a leading industry resource, as well as the growth of tilt-up construction since the 1950s.
- Jan. 19, 8 a.m.-11 a.m., Las Vegas Hilton, TCA Annual Meeting and Awards Breakfast. Nominees for board of directors positions will be elected, and a short business meeting will be conducted. The program will end with the presentation of Tilt-Up Achievement Awards. The cost to attend the meeting is $75 for TCA members and $95 for nonmembers. Registration can be completed by contacting TCA at 319/895-6911 or visiting the web site, www.tilt-up.org. Registrants are reminded to use the TCA source code, A35.