The Concrete Countertop Institute has announced seminar speakers and topics to be featured at its 2008 Concrete Countertop Industry Conference (CCIC), scheduled for August 21-23 at the Sacramento Convention Center in Sacramento, Calif
The Concrete Countertop Institute has announced seminar speakers and topics to be featured at its 2008 Concrete Countertop Industry Conference (CCIC), scheduled for August 21-23 at the Sacramento Convention Center in Sacramento, Calif. Every year, CCIC incorporates a diverse range of experts to cover all aspects of concrete countertop construction and design, affirms Conference Manager Lane Mangum. From sales and marketing strategies to product selection and green building techniques, this year’s speakers will have something to offer all attendees.
The keynote address by Sean Jacobs of JP Kitchen Design Studio is titled Emerging Trends in Countertops: Are concrete countertops the next big thing? Additional presentations will include Survey Says!? What does ÎSales & MarketingÌ mean for YOUR Concrete Countertop Business? by Lynda Apple of InConcrete; Designing for Success by MaryJo Camp of Standards of Excellence; Green Building & Remodeling for Dummies by Eric Corey Freed of organicARCHITECT; Pushing the Envelope beyond Countertops: GFRC and other tricks of the trade for amazing three-dimensional projects by Jeremy French of Mandala Design; Make a Better Countertop Mix with Admixtures and How to Succeed with Concrete Countertop Sealers by Jeffrey Girard, P.E., of The Concrete Countertop Institute; and, Getting it Right the First Time: A systematic, money-making approach to countertop project management by Evan Kruger of SolidTops.
Further, CCIC 2008 will feature product and technical demonstrations on August 21 and 22, exposing attendees to casting techniques, glass fiber-reinforced concrete (GFRC) applications, admixtures, and tool demonstrations that show the limitless potential of concrete, Mangum emphasizes. Participating companies include:
- enCOUNTER Û precast and cast-in-place methods for cantilevers, backsplashes, baseboards, drain boards, and integral sinks, plus top-surface and vessel sinks
- Alpha Professional Tools Û newly upgraded EcoGrinder for nearly dust-free, dry surface grinding
- Buddy Rhodes Artisan Concrete Û countertop casting with integral sink, as well as vertical packing using pressed technique with planter and furniture molds
- Cheng Concrete Û GFRC techniques and products for concrete countertop fabrication, as well as efficient mold-making methods
- Concrete Countertop Specialties Û various ways to grind, shape, route, and polish concrete countertops, detailing techniques for undermount sinks and edge polishing
- Concrete Countertop Supply by Fishstone Û admixture use for better results, plus hands-on experience with latest power tools
- Maximizer Concrete Û lightweight countertop mix
- SureCrete Design Products Û Xtreme Countertop mix
- Surface 519 Û high-performance, stain-proof sealers
This year, the Concrete Countertop Institute is adding an exposition to CCIC. The inaugural Concrete Countertop Design Expo will be staged August 23 at the Sacramento Convention Center immediately following the main event. Architects, builders and designers at the new annual Design Expo will be able to meet practitioners, see examples of their work, and learn how to use concrete countertops in their projects. The Expo will include Show & Tell sessions by countertop professionals, a range of concrete countertop examples in a showcase area, an educational luncheon design seminar, and participation in judging a Designer’s Choice award in a countertop competition.
Notes CCI’s Mangum, We hope the Design Expo will inspire design and build professionals to make use of this versatile, moldable material Û allowing them to think outside the box Û when building their kitchen, bath, sink, tub, fireplace, and even furniture designs; provide them with the practical knowledge to create their designs without problems; [and] connect them with the craftspeople who can collaborate with them and execute their creations.
More information about the Concrete Countertop Design Expo can be found at www.ConcreteCountertopDesignExpo.com; and, Concrete Countertop Industry Conference (CCIC) specifics are posted at www.ConcreteCountertopConference.com. Additional details regarding both events also can be obtained by calling 866/844-0999.